- Statistics on Vision Impairment: A Resource Manual.New York, NY: Lighthouse International, 2002
- Incidence of emergency department-treated eye injury in the United States.Arch Ophthalmol. 2005; 123: 662-666
- Epidemiology of blinding trauma in the United States Eye Injury Registry.Ophthalmic Epidemiol. 2006; 13: 209-216
- Epidemiologie schwerer Augenverletzungen. United States Eye Injury Registry (USEIR) und Hungarian Eye Injury Registry (HEIR).Ophthalmologe. 1998; 95: 332-343
- Serious eye injuries associated with fireworks—United States, 1990–1994.MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1995; 44: 449-452
- A standardized classification of ocular trauma.Ophthalmology. 1996; 103: 240-243
- Birmingham Eye Trauma Terminology system (BETT).J Fr Ophtalmol. 2004; 27: 206-210
- The ocular trauma score (OTS).Ophthalmol Clin North Am. 2002; 15: 163-165
- Controversies in the management of open-globe injuries involving the posterior segment.Surv Ophthalmol. 1999; 44: 215-225
- Controversies in traumatic cataract classification and management: a review.Can J Ophthalmol. 2013; 48: 251-258
- Controversies in ocular trauma classification and management: review.Int Ophthalmol. 2013; 33: 435-445
- Orbital “blowout” fractures: time for a new paradigm.Ophthalmology. 2018; 125: 796-798
- The American Academy of Ophthalmology’s IRIS® Registry (Intelligent Research in Sight Clinical Data): a look back and a look to the future.Ophthalmology. 2017; 124: 1572-1574
- The epidemiology of firework-related injuries in the United States: 2000–2010.Injury. 2014; 45: 1704-1709
- Epidemiology of infant ocular and periocular injuries from consumer products in the United States, 2001–2008.J AAPOS. 2013; 17: 239-242
- Characteristics of ocular nail glue exposures reported to the National Electronic Injury Surveillance System during 2000–2019.Clin Toxicol. 2020 Oct 28; (Online ahead of print): 1-6https://doi.org/10.1080/15563650.2020.1834115
- Demographic trends of open globe injuries in a large inpatient sample.Eye. (Lond). 2020 Nov 1; (Online ahead of print)https://doi.org/10.1038/s41433-020-01249-4
- Orbital floor fractures concurrent with acute open-globe injuries.Ophthalmology. 2020 Jul 29; (Online ahead of print): S0161-S6420https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ophtha.2020.07.049
- Epidemiology of eye-related emergency department visits.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2016; 134: 312-319
- Practical guide to surgical data sets: National Trauma Data Bank (NTDB).JAMA Surg. 2018; 153: 852-853
- Work-related eye injuries treated in hospital emergency departments in the US.Am J Ind Med. 2005; 48: 57-62
Although existing trauma databases provide public health information on eye trauma, an ophthalmic-specific database is necessary to address the controversies in the treatment and management of eye trauma.
Disclosure(s): All authors have completed and submitted the ICMJE disclosures form.
The author(s) have no proprietary or commercial interest in any materials discussed in this article.
The view(s) expressed herein are those of the author(s) and do not reflect the official policy or position of Walter Reed National Military Medical Center, the United States Army Medical Department, the United States Army Office of the Surgeon General, the Department of the Air Force, the Department of the Army, Department of Defense, the Uniformed Services University of the Health Sciences, or any other agency of the United States Government.