Main Outcome Measures
Abbreviations and Acronyms:CI (confidence interval), ED (emergency department), HCUP (Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project), ICD (International Classification of Diseases), NEDS (Nationwide Emergency Department Sample), OR (odds ratio)
- Orbital fractures: a review.Clin Ophthalmol. 2011; 5: 95-100
- Epidemiology of primary ophthalmic inpatient admissions in the United States.Am J Ophthalmol. 2018; 185: 101-109
- Changes in the incidence of eye trauma hospitalizations in the United States from 2001 through 2014.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2019; 137: 48-56
- Orbital fractures: national inpatient trends and complications.Ophthalmic Plast Reconstr Surg. 2013; 29: 298-303
- Rate of eye injury in the United States.Arch Ophthalmol. 2005; 123: 970-976
NEDS Overview. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP). April 2020. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/nedsoverview.jsp. Accessed April 23, 2020.
- Survey and review of blowout fractures.Arch Plast Surg. 2007; 34: 599-604
- An analysis of 733 surgically treated blowout fractures.Ophthalmologica. 2010; 224: 167-175
- An analysis of pure blowout fractures and associated ocular symptoms.J Craniofac Surg. 2013; 24: 703-707
- Retrospective analysis of 301 patients with orbital floor fracture.J Cranio-Maxillofacial Surg. 2015; 43: 244-247
- Epidemiological patterns of ocular trauma.Aust N Z J Ophthalmol. 1992; 20: 95-98
- Trends and disparities in inpatient costs for eye trauma in the United States (2001-2014).Am J Ophthalmol. 2019; 207: 1-9
- Relationship between weather and seasonal factors and trauma admission volume at a level I trauma center.J Trauma. 2001; 51: 118-122
Usmani B, Latif A, Iftikhar M, et al. Eye trauma in falls presenting to the emergency department from 2006 through 2015. Br J Ophthalmol. 2020 April 23;bjophthalmol-2019-314669. https://doi.org/10.1136/bjophthalmol-2019-314669. [Epub ahead of print].
- A Profile of Older Americans: 2017.US Government Printing Office, Washington, DC2018
- Increase in fall-related hospitalizations in the United States, 2001-2008.J Trauma. 2011; 71: 255-258
- Trends in United States emergency department visits and associated charges from 2010 to 2016.Am J Emerg Med. 2019; S0735-6757: 30560-30561
- An analysis of 3599 midfacial and 1141 orbital blowout fractures among 4426 United States Army Soldiers, 1980-2000.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2004; 130: 164-170
- A current 10-year retrospective survey of 199 surgically treated orbital floor fractures in a nonurban tertiary care center.Plast Reconstr Surg. 2001; 108: 612-621
HCUP Central Distributor Availability of Databases. Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project (HCUP). April 2020. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. https://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/db/availability_public.jsp. Accessed April 25, 2020.
Supplemental material available at www.aaojournal.org.
All authors have completed and submitted the ICMJE disclosures form. The author(s) have made the following disclosure(s): D.S.: Consultant — Alcon; Financial Support – the National Institutes of Health and the American Board of Ophthalmology.
Submitted as an abstract to the American Board of Ophthalmology Annual Meeting 2020.
HUMAN SUBJECTS: Human subjects were included in this study. The study was approved by the Johns Hopkins Institutional Review Board and adheres to the tenets of the Declaration of Helsinki. As the NEDS database does not contain any direct patient identifiers, informed consent was not required.
No animal subjects were used in this study.
Conception and design: Iftikhar, Woreta
Data collection: Iftikhar, Canner
Analysis and interpretation: Iftikhar, Canner, Hall, Ahmad, Srikumaran, Woreta
Obtained funding: N/A
Overall responsibility: Iftikhar, Canner, Hall, Ahmad, Srikumaran, Woreta