Main Outcome Measures
Abbreviations and Acronyms:ASP ( average sales price), DME ( diabetic macular edema), FFS ( fee-for-service), IRIS® ( Intelligent Research in Sight), MAC ( Medicare administrative contractor), nAMD ( neovascular age-related macular degeneration), PCV ( polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy), RVO ( retinal vascular occlusion), VEGF ( vascular endothelial growth factor)
- Trends of anti-vascular endothelial growth factor use in ophthalmology among privately insured and Medicare Advantage patients.Ophthalmology. 2017; 124: 352-358
- Part B drug spending dashboard.https://www.cms.gov/Research-Statistics-Data-and-Systems/Statistics-Trends-and-Reports/Information-on-Prescription-Drugs/MedicarePartB(Accessed 01.06.20)Date: 2018
- Cost-effectiveness of bevacizumab and ranibizumab for newly diagnosed neovascular macular degeneration.Ophthalmology. 2014; 121: 936-945
- Cost-effectiveness of various interventions for newly diagnosed diabetic macular edema.Ophthalmology. 2013; 120: 1835-1842
- Cost-effectiveness of aflibercept, bevacizumab, and ranibizumab for diabetic macular edema treatment. Analysis from the diabetic retinopathy clinical research network comparative effectiveness trial.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2016; 134: 888-896
- Switching to less expensive blindness drug could save Medicare Part B $18 billion over a ten-year period.Health Aff. 2014; 33: 931-939
- Aflibercept, bevacizumab, or ranibizumab for diabetic macular edema.Ophthalmology. 2016; 123: 1351-1359
- Efficacy and safety of intravitreal aflibercept for polypoidal choroidal vasculopathy in the PLANET study. A randomized clinical trial.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2018; 136: 786-793
- Cost of care initiative: analyzing a least cost alternative program with specialty ophthalmic injections under the medical benefit.J Manag Care Spec Pharm. 2018; 24: S105
- 2020 ASP drug pricing files.https://www.cms.gov/medicare/medicare-part-b-drug-average-sales-price/2020-asp-drug-pricing-files(Accessed 01.06.20)Date: 2020
- Loss to follow-up among patients with neovascular age-related macular degeneration who received intravitreal anti-vascular endothelial growth factor injections.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2018; 136: 1251-1259
- Loss to follow-up after intravitreal anti-vascular endothelial growth factor injections in patients with diabetic macular edema.Ophthalmol Retina. 2019; 3: 230-236
- Association of visit adherence and visual acuity in patients with neovascular age-related macular degeneration. Secondary analysis of the comparison of age-related macular degeneration treatment trial.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2020; 138: 237-242
- Association of prescription abandonment with cost share for high-cost specialty pharmacy medications.J Manag Care Pharm. 2009; 15: 648-658
- Association of out-of-pocket costs on adherence to common neurologic medications.Neurology. 2020; 94: 1-12
Financial Disclosure(s): The author(s) have made the following disclosure(s): F.L.: Employee – American Academy of Ophthalmology. No financial support was received for this study.
HUMAN SUBJECTS: No human subjects were included in this study. All research adhered to the tenets of the Declaration of Helsinki. The requirement for informed consent was waived because of the retrospective nature of the study.
No animal subjects were included in this study.
Conception and design: Glasser, Williams
Analysis and interpretation: Glasser, Parikh, Lum, Williams
Data collection: Glasser, Lum
Obtained funding: Study was performed as part of regular employment duties at the American Academy of Ophthalmology. No additional funding was provided.
Overall responsibility: Glasser, Parikh, Lum, Williams