Main Outcome Measures
Abbreviations and Acronyms:aHR (adjusted hazard ratio), AMD (age-related macular degeneration), CATT (Comparison of AMD Treatments Trials), CI (confidence interval), CNV (choroidal neovascularization), CP (color photograph), DA (disc area), FA (fluorescein angiography), GA (geographic atrophy), OCT (optical coherence tomography), PRN (pro re nata), RAP (retinal angiomatous proliferation), RPE (retinal pigment epithelium), SE (standard error), SNP (single nucleotide polymorphism), VEGF (vascular endothelial growth factor)
- Prevalence of age-related macular degeneration in the United States.Arch Ophthalmol. 2004; 122: 564-572
- Risk factors for the development of GA in CATT.Ophthalmology. 2014; 121: 150-161
- Growth of geographic atrophy in the Comparison of Age-related Macular Degeneration Treatments Trials (CATT).Ophthalmology. 2015; 122: 809-816
- Ranibizumab and bevacizumab for neovascular age-related macular degeneration.N Engl J Med. 2011; 364: 1897-1908
- Ranibizumab and bevacizumab for treatment of neovascular age-related macular degeneration: 2-year results.Ophthalmology. 2012; 119: 1388-1398
- Photographic assessment of baseline fundus morphologic features in the Comparison of Age-Related Macular Degeneration Treatments Trials.Ophthalmology. 2012; 119: 1634-1641
- Macular morphology and visual acuity in the Comparison of Age-related Macular Degeneration Treatments Trials (CATT).Ophthalmology. 2013; 120: 1860-1870
Rasband WS. ImageJ. Bethesda, MD: US National Institutes of Health. Available at: http://imagej.nih.gov/ij/. 1997-2014. Accessed July 7, 2009.
- Square root transformation of geographic atrophy area measurements to eliminate dependence of growth rates on baseline lesion measurements: a reanalysis of Age-Related Eye Disease Study Report No 26.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2013; 131: 101-102
- Optical coherence tomography grading reproducibility during the Comparison of Age-Related Macular Degeneration Treatments Trials.Ophthalmology. 2012; 119: 2549-2557
- Pharmacogenetics for genes associated with age-related macular degeneration (AMD) in the Comparison of AMD Treatments Trials (CATT).Ophthalmology. 2013; 120: 593-599
- Dietary Omega-3 fatty acids, other fat intake, genetic susceptibility, and progression to incident geographic atrophy.Ophthalmology. 2013; 120: 1020-1028
- Toll-like receptor 3 and geographic atrophy in age-related macular degeneration.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 1456-1463
- Controlling the false discovery rate: a practical and powerful approach to multiple testing.J R Stat Soc Series B Stat Methodol. 1995; 57: 289-300
- Five year incidence, progression, and risk factors for age-related macular degeneration.Ophthalmology. 2014; 121: 1766-1772
- Five-year outcomes with anti-vascular endothelial growth factor treatment of neovascular age-related macular degeneration: the Comparison of Age-Related Macular Degeneration Treatments Trials.Ophthalmology. 2016; 123: 1751-1761
- Alternative treatments to inhibit VEGF in age-related choroidal neovascularisation: 2-year findings of the IVAN randomised controlled trial.Lancet. 2013; 382: 1258-1267
- Development of atrophy in neovascular AMD treated with ranibizumab in the HARBOR study.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2015; 56 (ARVO E-Abstract 890)
- Seven-year outcomes in Ranibizumab-treated patients in ANCHOR, MARINA and HORIZON.Ophthalmology. 2013; 120: 2292-2299
- Circularity index as a risk factor for progression of geographic atrophy.Ophthalmology. 2013; 120: 2666-2671
- Systemic complement inhibition with eculizumab for geographic atrophy in age related macular degeneration. The COMPLETE Study.Ophthalmology. 2014; 121: 693-701
- Incidence and progression of geographic atrophy: observations from a population-based cohort.Ophthalmology. 2013; 120: 2042-2050
- The epidemiology of progression of pure geographic atrophy: the Beaver Dam Eye Study.Am J Ophthalmol. 2008; 146: 692-699
- Change in area of geographic atrophy in the Age-Related Eye Disease Study: AREDS report number 26.Arch Ophthalmol. 2009; 127: 1168-1174
- Growth of geographic atrophy on fundus autofluorescence and polymorphisms of CFH, CFB, C3, FHR1-3, and ARMS2 in age-related macular degeneration.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2014; 132: 528-534
- CFH, C3 and ARMS2 are significant risk loci for susceptibility but not for disease progression of geographic atrophy due to AMD.PLoS One. 2009; 4: e7418
- The long-term natural history of geographic atrophy from age-related macular degeneration: enlargement of atrophy and implications for interventional clinical trials.Ophthalmology. 2007; 114: 271-277
- Topography of geographic atrophy in age-related macular degeneration.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2012; 53: 4932-4939
- Natural history of geographic atrophy progression secondary to age-related macular degeneration (Geographic Atrophy Progression Study).Ophthalmology. 2016; 123: 361-368
- Relationship between RPE and choriocapillaris in age-related macular degeneration.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2009; 50: 4982-4991
∗Supplemental material is available at www.aaojournal.org.
Financial Disclosure(s): The author(s) have made the following disclosure(s): G-S.Y.: Consultant – Chengdu Kanghong Biotech Ltd.
G.J.J.: Consultant – Heidelberg Engineering, Neurotech, Alcon/Novartis, and Roche/Genentech.
C.A.T.: Research support – Genentech; Royalties – Alcon/Novartis.
M.G.M.: Consultant – Genentech/Roche.
Supported by Cooperative Agreements U10 EY023530, U10 EY017823, U10 EY017825, U10 EY017826, U10 EY017828, and R21EY023689 from the National Eye Institute, National Institutes of Health, Department of Health and Human Services. ClinicalTrials.gov identifier NCT00593450.
Conception and design: Grunwald, Pistilli, Daniel, Ying, Jaffe, Toth, Hagstrom, Maguire, Martin
Data collection: Grunwald, Pistilli, Daniel, Ying, Jaffe, Toth, Hagstrom, Maguire, Martin
Analysis and interpretation: Grunwald, Pistilli, Daniel, Ying, Pan, Jaffe, Toth, Hagstrom, Maguire, Martin
Obtained funding: Not applicable
Overall responsibility: Grunwald, Pistilli, Daniel, Ying, Pan, Jaffe, Toth, Hagstrom, Maguire, Martin