Main Outcome Measures
- The definition and classification of dry eye disease: report of the Definition and Classification Subcommittee of the International Dry Eye Workshop (2007).Ocul Surf. 2007; 5: 75-92
- Dry eye disease.Semin Ophthalmol. 2010; 25: 84-93
- Therapeutic targets in dry eye syndrome.Drug News Perspect. 2008; 21: 166-176
- Etiology, prevalence, and treatment of dry eye disease.Clin Ophthalmol. 2009; 3: 405-412
- Impact of dry eye disease and treatment on quality of life.Curr Opin Ophthalmol. 2010; 21: 310-316
- The ocular surface: the challenge to enable and protect vision: the Friedenwald lecture.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2007; 48 (4391–8): 4390
- Sodium hyaluronate eyedrops in the treatment of dry eyes.Br J Ophthalmol. 1995; 79: 1007-1011
- Sodium hyaluronate eye drops of different osmolarity for the treatment of dry eye in Sjogren's syndrome patients.Br J Ophthalmol. 2002; 86: 879-884
- Double blind, randomised, placebo controlled, crossover, multicentre study to determine the efficacy of a 0.1% (w/v) sodium hyaluronate solution (Fermavisc) in the treatment of dry eye syndrome.Br J Ophthalmol. 1999; 83: 1121-1124
- Preferred Practice Pattern Guidelines. Dry Eye Syndrome. Limited revision.American Academy of Ophthalmology, San Francisco, CA2011Accessed July 26, 2012)
- Effects of lacrimal drainage occlusion with nondissolvable intracanalicular plugs on hydrogel contact lens wear.Optom Vis Sci. 1998; 75: 330-338
- Advances in understanding and managing dry eye disease.Am J Ophthalmol. 2008; 146: 350-356
- Ocular mucins: purification, metabolism and functions.Prog Retin Eye Res. 1997; 16: 627-656
- Conjunctival goblet cell density in normal subjects and in dry eye syndromes.Invest Ophthalmol. 1975; 14: 299-302
- Alteration of mucin in human conjunctival epithelia in dry eye.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 1998; 39: 2602-2609
- Decreased levels of the goblet cell mucin MUC5AC in tears of patients with Sjogren syndrome.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2002; 43: 1004-1011
- Mucin ophthalmic solution treatment of dry eye.Adv Exp Med Biol. 2002; 506: 359-362
- Rebamipide, a cytoprotective drug, increases gastric mucus secretion in human: evaluations with endoscopic gastrin test.Dig Dis Sci. 2009; 54: 1500-1507
- Rebamipide: a gastrointestinal protective drug with pleiotropic activities.Expert Rev Gastroenterol Hepatol. 2010; 4: 261-270
- Gastric mucosal protection by OPC-12759, a novel antiulcer compound, in the rat.Eur J Pharmacol. 1987; 142: 23-29
- Rebamipide increases the amount of mucin-like substances on the conjunctiva and cornea in the N-acetylcysteine-treated in vivo model.Cornea. 2004; 23: 613-619
- Rebamipide increases mucin-like substance contents and periodic acid Schiff reagent-positive cells density in normal rabbits.J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2012; 28: 264-270
- Rebamipide increases the mucin-like glycoprotein production in corneal epithelial cells.J Ocul Pharmacol Ther. 2012; 28: 259-263
- Rebamipide (OPC-12759) in the treatment of dry eye: a randomized, double-masked, multicenter, placebo-controlled phase II study.Ophthalmology. 2012; 119: 2471-2478
- Sequential treatment assignment with balancing for prognostic factors in the controlled clinical trial.Biometrics. 1975; 31: 103-115
- Report of the National Eye Institute/Industry workshop on Clinical Trials in Dry Eyes.CLAO J. 1995; 21: 221-232
- Prevalence of dry eye disease among US men: estimates from the Physicians' Health Studies.Arch Ophthalmol. 2009; 127: 763-768
- The epidemiology of dry eye disease: report of the Epidemiology Subcommittee of the International Dry Eye WorkShop (2007).Ocul Surf. 2007; 5: 93-107
- Optimizing evaluation of lissamine green parameters for ocular surface staining.Eye (Lond). 2011; 25: 1429-1434
- Dry eye diagnosis.Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2008; 49: 1407-1414
- Two multicenter, randomized studies of the efficacy and safety of cyclosporine ophthalmic emulsion in moderate to severe dry eye disease.Ophthalmology. 2000; 107: 631-639
- Morphological changes in ocular surface in dry eyes and other disorders by impression cytology.Graefes Arch Clin Exp Ophthalmol. 1992; 230: 329-334
- The effects of topical drugs and preservatives on the tears and corneal epithelium in dry eye.Trans Ophthalmol Soc U K. 1985; 104: 402-409
- Preservatives in eyedrops: the good, the bad and the ugly.Prog Retin Eye Res. 2010; 29: 312-334
- Increasing importance of dry eye syndrome and the ideal artificial tear: consensus views from a roundtable discussion.Curr Med Res Opin. 2006; 22: 2149-2157
Financial Disclosure(s): The author(s) have made the following disclosure(s):
Shigeru Kinoshita: Consultant—Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd.
Kazuhide Oshiden: Employee—Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd.
Saki Awamura: Employee—Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd.
Hiroyuki Suzuki: Employee—Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd.
Norihiro Nakamichi: Employee—Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd.
Supported by a grant from Otsuka Pharmaceutical Co, Ltd , Tokyo, Japan.
*Group members listed online (available at http://aaojournal.org).
Manuscript no. 2012-1169.