Main Outcome Measures
Abbreviationsand Acronyms:MLR (multivariate linear regression), OR (operating room), PSM (propensity score match), SWB (salary with bonus)
- FACTS: applicants, matriculants, enrollment, graduates, MD-PhD, and residency applicants data.https://www.aamc.org/system/files/2019-11/2019_FACTS_Table_B-3.pdfDate: 2019Date accessed: May 1, 2020
- The Majority of U.S. Medical Students Are Women, New Data Show.https://www.aamc.org/news-insights/press-releases/majority-us-medical-students-are-women-new-data-showDate: 2019Date accessed: July 22, 2020
- Current and future status of diversity in ophthalmologist workforce.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2016; 134: 1016-1023
- Sex diversity in ophthalmology leadership in 2020-A Call for Action.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2020; 138: 458-459
- Trends in authorship of articles in major ophthalmology journals by gender, 2002-2014.Ophthalmology. 2016; 123: 1824-1828
- Sex disparities in ophthalmic research: a descriptive bibliometric study on scientific authorships.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2019; 137: 1223-1231
- Five-decade profile of women in leadership positions at ophthalmic publications.Arch Ophthalmol. 2012; 130: 1441-1446
- Decadelong profile of women in ophthalmic publications [published correction appears in JAMA Ophthalmol. 2016;134:1204] [published correction appears in JAMA Ophthalmol. 2016;134:1204].JAMA Ophthalmol. 2015; 133: 255-259
- Gender differences in case volume among ophthalmology residents.JAMA Ophthalmol. 2019; 137: 1015-1020
- Gender characteristics among academic ophthalmology leadership, faculty, and residents: results from a cross-sectional survey.Ophthalmic Epidemiol. 2010; 17: 1-6
- Trends in the earnings of male and female health care professionals in the United States, 1987 to 2010.JAMA Intern Med. 2013; 173: 1748-1750
- Sex differences in physician salary in US public medical schools.JAMA Intern Med. 2016; 176: 1294-1304
- The effect of sex on orthopaedic surgeon income.J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2019; 101: e87
- Gender differences in general surgical careers: results of a post-residency survey.Am J Surg. 2005; 190: 955-959
- Compensation of otolaryngologists in the veterans health administration: is there a gender gap?.Laryngoscope. 2019; 129: 113-118
- Gender disparity in academic neurosurgery.Cureus. 2019; 11: e4628
- Compensation and advancement of women in academic medicine: is there equity?.Ann Intern Med. 2004; 141: 205-212
- The gender earnings gap for physicians and its increase over time.Econ Lett. 2012; 116: 37-41
- Negotiating gender roles: gender differences in assertive negotiating are mediated by women’s fear of backlash and attenuated when negotiating on behalf of others.J Pers Soc Psychol. 2010; 98: 256-267
- Social incentives for gender differences in the propensity to initiate negotiations: sometimes it does hurt to ask.Organ Behav Hum Decis Process. 2007; 103: 84-103
- Gender differences in physician pay tradeoffs between career and family.J Hum Resour. 2005; XL: 477-504
- The impact of gender and parenthood on physicians' careers - professional and personal situation seven years after graduation.BMC Health Serv Res. 2010; 10: 40
- Differences in earnings between male and female physicians.Am J Ophthalmol. 1996; 122: 147
- US News & World Report. Best Hospitals for Ophthalmology.Accessed March, 2020.)
- Ophthalmology Residency Match Summary Report.https://www.sfmatch.org/PDFFilesDisplay/Ophthalmology_Residency_Stats_2019.pdfDate: 2019Date accessed: July 22, 2020
- the economics of private practice versus academia in surgery.J Surg Educ. 2018; 75: 1276-1280
- Who asks and who receives in salary negotiation.J Organ Behav. 2011; 32: 371-394
- Gender differences in the propensity to initiate negotiations.in: De Cremer D. Zeelenberg M. Murnighan J.K. Social Psychology and Economics. Lawrence Erlbaum Associates Publishers, Hillsdale, NJ2006: 239-259
- Negotiation for starting salary: antecedents and outcomes among recent college graduates.J Bus Psychol. 2002; 16: 365-382
- Determinants and consequences of salary negotiations by male and female MBA graduates.J Appl Psychol. 1991; 76: 256-262
- Differences in starting pay for male and female physicians persist; explanations for the gender gap remain elusive.Health Aff (Millwood). 2020; 39: 256-263
- Association of a simulated institutional gender equity initiative with gender-based disparities in medical school faculty salaries and promotions.JAMA Netw Open. 2018; 1e186054
- Gender differences in ophthalmologists' annual incomes.Ophthalmology. 2007; 114: 1696-1701
- Medscape. Medscape Urologist Compensation Report 2018.https://www.medscape.com/slideshow/2018-compensation-urologist-6009675Date accessed: July 22, 2020
- Negotiation in academic medicine: a necessary career skill.J Women’s Health (Larchmt). 2007; 16: 235-244
- “Passing the buck”: Incongruence between gender role and topic leads to avoidance of negotiation.NCMR. 2011; 4: 47-72
- Who goes to the bargaining table? The influence of gender and framing on the initiation of negotiation.J Pers Soc Psychol. 2007; 93: 600-613
- Gender differences in negotiation outcome: a meta-analysis.Pers Psychol. 1999; 52: 653-677
- Negotiation in academic medicine: narratives of faculty researchers and their mentors.Acad Med. 2013; 88: 505-511
- Too bad for the women or does it have to be? Gender and negotiation research over the past 25 years.Negotiation J. 2009; 25: 515-531
- Women at the bargaining table: pitfalls and prospects.Negotiation J. 2009; 25: 233-249
- Women and salary negotiation: the costs of self- advocacy.Psychol Women Q. 2001; 25: 65-76
- Why women don’t apply for jobs unless they’re 100% qualified.https://hbr.org/2014/08/ why-women-dont-apply-for-jobs-unless-theyre-100-qualifiedDate accessed: March 2, 2017
- Strategies for identifying and closing the gender salary gap in surgery.J Am Coll Surg. 2017; 225: 333-338
- Association of Women Surgeons (AWS) Statement on Gender Salary Equity.https://www.womensurgeons.org/Date accessed: March 2, 2017
Supplemental material available at www.aaojournal.org.
Disclosure(s): All authors have completed and submitted the ICMJE disclosures form.
The author(s) have made the following disclosure(s):
L.T.D.S.: Consultant – Avedro.
Y.S.M.: Consultant – Alimera, Allergan, Genentech, Thea, Zeiss.
A.S.K.: Consultant – Glaukos; Grants – Allergan , NJ Health Foundation; Payment for lectures –Allergan, Aerie, B&L.
B.J.W.: Grants – Irving Institute/ Columbia University .
A.G.S.: Grant – Allergan.
HUMAN SUBJECTS: Human subjects were included in this study. The human ethics committees at the New York University Grossman School of Medicine approved the study. Waiver of informed consent was granted by the New York University Grossman School of Medicine for the use of de-identified data All research adhered to the tenets of the Declaration of Helsinki. No animal subjects were used in this study.
Conception and design: Jia, Lazzaro, Elgin, Alcantara-Castillo, SooHoo, Al-Aswad
Data collection: Jia, Lazzaro, Alcantara-Castillo, Gedde, Khouri, Shukla, Sperber, Law, Modi, Kim, SooHoo, Winn, Chen, Al-Aswad
Analysis and interpretation: Jia, Lazzaro, Lidder, Elgin, SooHoo, Al-Aswad
Obtained funding: N/A
Overall responsibility: Jia, Lazzaro, Lidder, Elgin, Gedde, Shukla, Modi, SooHoo, Winn, Chen, Al-Aswad