Main Outcome Measures
Abbreviations and Acronyms:AMD (age-related macular degeneration), CI (confidence interval), IC (interstitial cystitis), PPS (pentosan polysulfate sodium), RPE (retinal pigment epithelium)
- Pigmentary maculopathy associated with chronic exposure to pentosan polysulfate sodium.Ophthalmology. 2018; 125: 1793-1802
- [Thrombocid: a new synthetic anticoagulant].Presse Med. 1951; 59: 159
- Strength of association between pentosan polysulfate and a novel maculopathy.Ophthalmology. 2019; 126: 1464-1466
- Diagnosis and treatment of interstitial cystitis/bladder pain syndrome: AUA guideline amendment.J Urol. 2015; 193: 1545-1553
- Etiology, pathophysiology and biomarkers of interstitial cystitis/painful bladder syndrome.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2017; 295: 1341-1359
- Efficacy of pentosan polysulfate in the treatment of interstitial cystitis: a meta-analysis.Urology. 1997; 50: 39-43
- Guideline of guidelines: bladder pain syndrome.BJU Int. 2018; 122: 729-743
- Pentosan polysulfate sodium for treatment of interstitial cystitis/bladder pain syndrome: insights from a randomized, double-blind, placebo controlled study.J Urology. 2015; 193: 857-862
- Re: Pearce et al: Pigmentary maculopathy associated with chronic exposure to pentosan polysulfate sodium (Ophthalmology. 2018;125:1793–1802.Ophthalmology. 2019; 126: e51
- Pentosan polysulfate.Accessed 19.08.19)
- The regenerative potential of the vertebrate retina: lessons from the zebrafish.in: Pébay A. Regenerative Biology of the Eye. Springer New York, New York2014: 49-82
- Fgf signaling is required for photoreceptor maintenance in the adult zebrafish retina.PLoS One. 2012; 7e30365
- Inhibition of the fibroblast growth factor receptor (FGFR) pathway: the current landscape and barriers to clinical application.Oncotarget. 2017; 8: 16052-16074
- Recommendations on screening for chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine retinopathy (2016 revision).Ophthalmology. 2016; 123: 1386-1394
Supplemental material available at www.aaojournal.org.
Financial Disclosure(s): The author(s) have made the following disclosure(s): D.M.M.: Consultant – Akebia, Apellis, Congruence Medical Solutions, Prime, Regeneron, Vindico, Bayer, Iconic Therapeutics; Scientific advisory board – Allegro, Irenix, Pykus, Visunex Medical Systems, Co., Ltd; Data safety monitoring board – Alcon, Novartis; Board of directors – 1800 Contacts; dSentz, Linc, Pr3vent, Promisight; Founder – dSentz, Linc, Pr3vent, Promisight, Versl; Equity owner – 1800 Contacts; dSentz; Grand Legend Technology; Linc; Pr3vent; Promisight; Pykus; Versl; Visunex Medical Systems, Co. Ltd.
Supported by the Heed Ophthalmic Foundation (N.F.C.).
HUMAN SUBJECTS: Human subjects were included in this study. As a secondary analysis of de-identified administrative data, this study was exempt from Stanford University Institutional Review Board approval.
No animal subjects were included in this study.
Conception and design: Ludwig, Vail, Callaway, Moshfeghi
Analysis and interpretation: Ludwig, Vail, Callaway, Pasricha, Moshfeghi
Data collection: Ludwig, Vail, Callaway, Pasricha, Moshfeghi
Obtained funding: Moshfeghi
Overall responsibility: Ludwig, Vail, Callaway, Pasricha, Moshfeghi